Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Hokies Beat Themselves



The Hokies lost an exciting Sugar Bowl, but not from an overturned TD in OT.  I know it's easy to grasp onto that instance and say we got cheated, but in all fairness the ball did touch the ground.  I don't agree it was enough to overturn the call either, but that wasn't the real problem.  The Hokies painted themselves into a OT corner that shouldn't have even happened.

The first big mistake: roughing the kicker.  The Hokies should have gotten the ball back, but instead Michigan got 7 points that never should have happened.



The second, and most egregious mistake: botched trick play.  The Hokie defense had been man-handling Michigan for the most part.  With the score tied, in the fourth quarter, and on 4th down, Beamer decided to not be Frank Beamer for a play and tried a fake punt that failed harder a Peyton Manningless Colts team.  There were two other and better options to choose from in this case: 1) punt the damn ball, let the defense shut down Michigan like it had been doing all game, get the ball back, score, win, go home.  2) Give it to Thomas and let him smash through for that 2 yard gain.  In any other game that Beamer has ever coached, he would have gone with option 1.  I really don't understand the play call.



There were other mistakes, of course, like fumbles and interceptions, but those things happen.  But the two problems listed above should never have happened.



But I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on the Hokies too hard.  For the most part, they played an excellent game.  Wilson couldn't get much going, but Thomas and the receiving crew were on their game.  And the defense really only had one big mistake the whole game, when Whitley went for the the interception instead of the tackle, and let a touchdown go.



And for our third-string kicker to come out and hit 4 of 5 is pretty damn good.  I know he feels bad about missing that last one, but in my opinion, he should be proud of his performance.


6 comments:

  1. Calling a time out on that 4th and 1 was dumb enough, but a fake punt run is the best they could came up with? I hate 4th and 1, and usually say go for it, but in this case it was obvious to punt. I'm all for trick plays, but that was the absolute worst time for one.

    Luck: we didn't have much of it. The should-have-been-a-sack scramble turned into almost an interception for an offensive TD was a lot due to luck, and not for us. The should have been an interception that bounced of our defenders helmets into the offensive lineman's hands was a lot of luck, again not in our favor.

    Officiating sucked. That overtime TD reversal was criminal. I've watched that play over and over and I don't see the ball bobble. Plus, Hosley got hosed on 2 interceptions.

    Our 3rd string kicker did an excellent job. He missed a clutch kick, which sucked, but I agree, he should be proud of himself. Why was he behind the felon and Mr. Curfew anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree play calling was not the best. Going for it on 4th down in the first half when you are only up by 6 points was a bad choice. That could have been an easy Field goal and would have put them up by 9. But I guess it's easy for me to say now, but I said it when they did it that it was a bad choice. Get the points early on while you can. Of course actually getting touchdowns in the red zone would have been rad too. Also, let's face it special teams haven't been what they were back in our college days. The blocked kicks and returns for TD's are not there like before. I think a huge let down on this game happened when we were given the chance to get the ball after UM's first drive when their backup center screwed those snaps up. We take the ball to the 4 then Wilson gets a 20 yard loss. What the hell? As soon as that play happened it set the tone for the whole game. I can say this, I was glad I had a hockey game and I missed the second half. At least my team won and I scored a goal. Had I watched it or come home after my team lost, TV's would have been tossed out the window. I guess I will do what I do every year at this time. I will say things have got to be better next year. But for that to happen, we need a new offsensive cooridinator, and some bigger O linemen. We do that and maybe we can beat some teams that are worth a damn. Our running game just doesn't hold up against big and fast D-lines. Yeah they can move quicker but when they just knock you out of the way when you try to run up the middle, that takes away a good part of your run game against good teams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be alone on this, but I thought the "roughing the kicker" penalty was kinda weak sauce. Dude definitely hit the punter, it was a dumb mistake, and it was definitely a penalty. But I thought "running into the kicker" would have been a better call. (Do they still have that in college? Maybe I'm wrong.)

    I'm with you 100% on the fake punt. I guess they'd been practicing a "rugby punt-fake option" for Coale, and wanted to try it out. Mick's right, though: HORRIBLE time to call that. HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree with you guys. You brought up a few things I forgot, like that turnover on downs that could have been a field goal. I agree with your assessment of the roughing the kicker penalty, Derek. I fully expected the "running into" because the guy obviously slipped and slid into him; he didn't hit him. I don't know what the difference is in terms of yards, though. Would it have been few enough to prevent an automatic first down? In any case, you shouldn't be touching the kicker, in my opinion. It's too damn risky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Running into" is 5 yards, "roughing" is 15 yards and automatic 1st down. If "running into" was called, I think it still would have been 4th down. (But again, I'm not sure they still call that in college.)

    Either way, you're totally right, Hopper shouldn't have even been in that position. He took a really high-risk angle toward the punter, and poop happened.

    ReplyDelete